Saturday, May 3, 2014

Just a Thought or Two -

I don't have any photos today.  But I have decided to not let that stop me from sharing a thought or two.

I have been experimenting with FlameWare clay the past couple of years and I did something this week that has me a little excited and a little apprehensive.  I made two teapots from it.  Teapots that I hope will hold up to actually sitting on the fire and boiling the water.

I threw two bowls, turned them upside down, cut the hole for the lid in the bottom of the bowl, rolled a slab, and fastened it all together the usual way...scoring and slipping.  I attached "loops" to hold handles that I will make handles with wire and wooden beads.  (I will post photos next week).

I guess I would like to know if there is anyone out there who knows a lot about FlameWare who can tell me if this is something that will actually work.  You know, hold up to the heat?  The slipping and scoring has me a little nervous. And I want to know if carving in the clay will affect it's ability to withstand thermal shock. It is an adventure for sure.

I have been enjoying the "company" of a lot of fine potters via Facebook.  It is so inspiring to see their work and "hear" them talk about solving problems successes, offering advice, sharing sources and resources.

I have to stand by an earlier assessment I have made about potters...they are truly the NICEST people I know of.

Onward and Upward!!
Tari

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read about how you feel about my posts. All I ask is that you please be kind and use clean language. I will do the same :) Thanks.